This course covers the implementation, design, and verification principles of using thermal desorption as a remediation technology.
The course covers both in situ and ex situ thermal desorption and the key aspects that you would need to consider if you are planning to use it as a remediation technique.
The course consists of five modules and two assessments. The first assessment is set after module 1 and the second on completion of all five modules. Module 1 comprises a recommended reading list for self-study and modules 2, 3, 4 and 5 are videos consisting of a presentation with narration.
Module 1 Introduction of Thermal Desorption
Module 2 Implementation and Practical Application of Ex Situ Thermal Desorption
Module 3 Design - Process Configurations of Ex Situ Thermal Desorption
Module 4 Verification of Ex Situ Thermal Desorption
Module 5 Design, Implementation and Verification of In Situ Thermal Desorption
By the end of the course you will be able to:
- Explain the main considerations that need to be assessed whether ex situ or in situ thermal desorption is a suitable remediation option
- Explain the main design principles of the technique
- Understand the key implementation aspects that need to be considered for in situ and ex situ thermal desorption
- Understand the differences between different in situ thermal desorption processes
- Understand how to monitor and report how the technology has performed
- Subject Expert: Stany Pensaert