CL:AIRE is pleased to announce that a new Technical Bulletin TB20: An Introduction to Natural Source Zone Depletion at LNAPL Sites is now available to download.
‘Natural source zone depletion’ (NSZD) describes the naturally occurring processes that collectively result in the depletion of chemical contaminant mass from a (LNAPL) source zone.
The purposes of this bulletin introducing NSZD at LNAPL sites are to:
- Introduce and raise awareness of NSZD and outline its potential significance;
- Outline the key processes controlling NSZD rates and recent research advances;
- Outline recent approaches to measuring NSZD, particularly the gaseous component;
- Consider the varied roles of emerging NSZD technology use in the remediation life cycle; and
- Review the challenges and needs yet to be overcome
The bulletin was written by Dr Michael Rivett, GroundH2O Plus Ltd and Dr Rob Sweeney, CL:AIRE. CL:AIRE would like to acknowledge the support provided by the Environment Agency and Shell Global Solutions (UK) Ltd.