Land contamination can affect groundwater, freshwater and coastal waters. Groundwater is particularly vulnerable to contamination as it underlies many sites and is difficult to clean up once polluted.
- Environmental fate & effects of poly and perfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS). Report No. 8/16. Concawe. 2016.
Department of the Environment
- CLR 1, A Framework for Assessing the Impact of Contaminated Land on Groundwater and Surface Water. DoE, 1994. Volume 1 (PDF, 35MB) (INFO-RA2-3a)
- CLR1, A Framework for Assessing the Impact of Contaminated Land on Groundwater and Surface Water. DoE 1994 Volume 2 (PDF, 35MB) (INFO-RA2-3a)
- Groundwater protection: Principles and practice (GP3) EA 2012 - Superseded
- The Environment Agency's Approach to Groundwater Protection (GP3) EA 2017 v1.0
- Guidance on the Assessment and Interrogation of Subsurface Analytical Contaminant Fate and Transport Models, NC/99/38/1 EA, 2002 (PDF, 151MB) (INFO-RA2-3d)
- Methodology for the Derivation of Remedial Targets for Soil and Groundwater to Protect Water Resources, R&D Publication 20. EA, 1999. (INFO-RA2-3c) - Superseded
- Remedial Targets Methodology: Hydrogeological Risk Assessment for Land Contamination, 2006 (PDF, 107KB)
- User manual v3.1 (PDF, 99KB)
- Hydrogeological risk assessment for land contamination: Remedial targets Worksheet v3.2 (Excel, 714KB)
The Remedial targets worksheet was updated by the Environment Agency in January 2013. This was to correct a formatting error on the level 3 groundwater sheet. In the Domenico Steady state mode - the ‘half life for degradation of contaminant in water’ box was blacked out despite being used in the calculations. The resulting default figure was not conservative. Version 3.2 is the updated version.
- Land Contamination Groundwater Compliance Points: Quantitative Risk Assessments, EA, March 2017 (gov.uk web page)
- Environment Agency Technical Advice to Third Parties on Pollution of Controlled Waters for Part 2A of the Environmental Protection Act 1990, No 07/02. EA, 2002. (INFO-RA2-3e)
- ConSim (Release 2): Contamination Impact on Groundwater: Simulation by Monte Carlo Method. EA, 2003. (INFO-RA2-3f)
- An Illustrated Handbook of DNAPL Transport and Fate in the Subsurface, R&D Publication 133. EA, 2004. (PDF, 788KB) (INFO-RA2-3g)
- Piling into Contaminated Sites, EA, 2002.
- Piling in Layered Ground: Risks to Groundwater and Archaeology, Science Report SC020074/SR, 2006 (PDF 6.86MB)
- Potential groundwater pollutants from cemeteries, EA - One page summary
- Pollution Potential of Cemeteries - Draft Guidance, EA, R&D Technical report P223, ISBN: 1 85705 021 5, 2002
- AMENDMENT to ‘Pollution potential of cemeteries’- R&D P223, EA, March 2004
- Assessing the Groundwater Pollution Potential of Cemetery Developments, EA, SCHO0404BGLA-E-P, April 2004