Land contamination can give rise to volatile contaminants which can pose a risk of harm to human health by asphyxiation or illness if inhaled. Vapours and gases such as methane may also pose a risk of fire or explosion.
- Construction of New Buildings on Gas-contaminated Land, BR212. BRE, 1991. (INFO-RA-4a)
- Protective measures for housing on gas-contaminated land. BRE Report 414. 2001.
- Radon: Guidance on protective measures for new buildings, BR211. 2015. BRE.
- Guidance on investigations for ground gas – permanent gases and volatile organic compounds (VOCs). BS 8576. BSI, 2013.
- Code of Practice for the design of protective measures for methane and carbon dioxide ground gases in new buildings. BS8485. BSI. 2015.
Chartered Institute of Environmental Health
- The Local Authority Guide to Ground Gas. Wilson, S., Card, G. and Haines, S.: Chartered Institute of Environmental Health, London, 2008. - Out of Print
- Methane: Its Occurrence and Hazards in Construction, R130. CIRIA,1993. (INFO-RA2-4b).
- Protecting Development from Methane, R149. CIRIA,1995. (INFO-RA2-4c).
- Interpreting Measurements of Gas in the Ground, R151. CIRIA, 1995. (INFO-RA2-4d).
- Risk Assessment for Methane and Other Gases from the Ground, R152. CIRIA, 1995. (INFO-RA2-4e).
- Assessing Risks Posed by Hazardous Ground Gases to Buildings. C665. CIRIA, 2007.
- The VOC Handbook. Investigation, Assessing and Managing Risks from Inhalation of VOCs at Land Affected by Contamination. Baker et al. CIRIA C682, 2009.
- Good practice on the testing and verification of protection systems for buildings against hazardous ground gases. Mallett, H. , Cox L, Wilson s, Corban M. CIRIA C735, 2014.
- Guidance on the use of plastic membranes as VOC vapour barriers. Wilson, S., Abbot, A. and Mallett, H. CIRIA C748, 2014.
- Vapour Transfer of Soil Contaminants, R&D Technical Report P5-018/TR. EA, 2002. (INFO-RA2-4h) (PDF, 1.6MB)
- Passive Venting of Soil Gases Beneath Buildings. DETR/PIT, 1997. (INFO-RA2-4f) Volume 1 (Guide for Design)
- Volume 2 (Computational Fluid Dynamics Modelling: Example Output)
- Guidance on Evaluation of Development Proposals on Sites Where Methane and Carbon Dioxide are Present. 10627-R01(04). NHBC and RSK Group. NHBC , 2007.
United States Environmental Protection Agency
- Petroleum Hydrocarbons and Chlorinated Solvents Differ in their Potential Vapor Intrusion. USEPA, 2012
- Technical Guide Addressing Petroleum Vapor Intrusion at Leaking Underground Storage Tank Sites. EPA510-R-15-001, USEPA, June 2015
- Technical Guide for Assessing and Mitigating Vapor Intrusion Pathway from Subsurface Vapor Sources to Indoor Air. OSWER Publication 9200.2-154, USEPA, 2015
- The Monitoring of Landfill Gas, Landfill Gas Monitoring Working Group report. IWM, 1998. (INFO-RA2-4g). This report is out of print but may be available from subscription libraries.
- Gas protection measures for buildings. Methodology for the quantitative design of gas dispersal layers. Owen, R. and Paul, V. Proceedings of the Fifth International Conference – Polluted and Marginal Land. 1998
- Ground Gas Handbook. Wilson S, Card G, Haines S. Whittles Publishing. 2009.